Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yoga Butt-Kicking

So my hubby is on a new work schedule and I've decided to change my yoga work-out schedule so we can still drive together in the morning. You see I am a morning bird and I love working out in the morning so this evening thing is a challenge for me. I find yoga revs me up instead of chilling me out. It's 9:00 p.m. and I still need to shower and go to sleep. Yes, I will learn to adjust. One step is to start walking in the mornings for 30-45 minutes, just to wake me up and set the right tone to my day.

Well tonight my first evening yoga class took place at 7:30p.m. and it was a Hot Yoga flow. I thought, I am going to be fine, I do Moksha 5 mornings a week. Well, my wonderful teacher is a dominatrix, she royally kicked our butts in this yoga class! It was 60 minutes of trying to Keep It Together. I thought vomit might FLOW right out of my ears I was that queasy from the up, down, plank, right knee on top of right shoulder then back to plank and upward dog. Blahhhh. I did Ashtanga yoga, a Vinyasa flow yoga, for over 6 years years and I  have never felt that ill in my life. I was in Child's Pose more times than I can count and I am sure it was because Suzy Sunshine had the heat jacked up another 10 degrees just to make it extra special.

However, there were many things I was very thankful for during the class:
1. - I know how to breathe. What a blessing it is to know how to slow your breath and calm your thoughts along with your nerves. There were many times I thought I would go into panic mode and every time my mind would gently say.....BREATHE ....JUST breeeeaathe. I could believe how much that helped me finish the class.

2. - It's all about me. The class was full and I would say half of them were from our local dance theatre company because they twisted like elastics, but what I kept saying to myself was, "this is not a competition, it is all about you listening and finding YOUR edge, not theirs".  I forget that so often in real life but I am thankful it shows up in my yoga practice. Learning when to back off and when to test yourself a little more is all about following your intuition, which comes from messages your body sends to the brain. It can be a brilliant system if we just tap into it.

3. - Overcoming a challenge is rewarding. During the class I was repeating at times....okay I don't know if I am "enjoying" this enough to come back and "suffer" some more, but what is hilarious about the mind and body is that it loves a good challenge. I will only grow from doing that class and when I master it, I will be so proud of myself. Then I will have to find a new one because for me there is nothing more satisfying that ticking off that box that says DONE!

Because in the end, the practice of yoga is to lead you into the most important and HARDEST posture of them all SHA-VAH-SAH-NAH.
It is harder to be still and let go than to do. Opposite of what most of us think, I know, but one of the most rewarding postures and lessons around.

I hope you all find your Shavasana daily.

Namaste.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment