Sunday, May 8, 2011

Soul Food Weekend

It has been a soul-filled weekend for me. I seem to be very connected with my feminine energy lately and had the opportunity to catch-up with some of my "sisters" . Two suppers, and a brunch date were on my plate, so to speak, this weekend. All of the women I've dined with are so interesting and come from such varied backgrounds. They have all taught me so much in such a short time. I thought it would be nice to share some of the lessons I picked up during my dine time with them:


1. Take your time.  We live in a society that likes to rush things and this is not healthy. We need to live in the moment and be present, especially with our friends, who are often our best teachers. Savour the food, the conversation, the atmosphere. Sit back, look around, laugh, make eye contact, think for a few minutes about what is being discussed and most importantly, smile:). These are the moments of our lives...as corny as they may sound, it is supremely true.


2. It's okay to break down. One commonality between these three magnificent women is that they all had emotional breakdowns this week. They are all moms and are all at different stages of their motherhood, and interestingly enough, romantic relationships. It was fascinating to hear their struggles, views, and feelings about their breakdowns. Each looked at them differently - one worried about the perceptions of others, another was more self-concerned about her mental stability and the other was extremely very positive that it brought about a breakthrough in her life. It is so necessary to have emotional breakdowns  now and then because their cracks provide new openings for light to shine through.


3. Having Faith in Vision. I am a firm believer in setting goals, visualizing them, and speaking about their results in the present tense. All of my dining mates have visions for their lives too, but each approaches their faith in the fruition of the visions differently. One is very religious and has deep faith in God and the Saints to help her achieve her dreams. Another is connected to her  physical and mental energies and their abilities to draw or push away things in her life.The last is open to both spiritual guides (however, not in a Christian sense) as well as the metaphysical energy that our minds and bodies project.All three women have achieved many of their goals, leading me to realize that the destination can be obtained via various routes.




My weekend passed too quickly for my taste, but I know I would not trade  a single second for the sacred time  I spent with my wise sisters and all the wise teachings they gave me to start my week ahead.


Namaste and Om!

No comments:

Post a Comment