Monday, May 2, 2011

Oh What a Night!

You ever have those times in your life when you realize how lucky you are to live where you live and be surrounded by those who are committed to  being happy. I had one of those evenings on Saturday.

A group of girlfriends from work decided to buy tickets to a local hospital charity that purchases equipment to detecting breast cancer. The evening is for women only and consists of dancing, partying, prizes and lots of silly costumes.

I was tired that evening. I had been going all day with my parents and then out to supper with my husband and his family and truly just wanted to crawl into bed and go to sleep for the night. I wasn't sure I was up to the cold wind, dark night and uncertainty of the evening. The only thing that kept me walking out the door in my dark jeans and sparkly top were my friends.

They are the best women. I know they share the same values and interests in self-improvement and motivation  that I do so being in their presence is uplifting and energizing. They are creative, funny, open, encouraging and supportive.

I have lots of different types of friends, but I am not sure they are all of this caliber. Many I know need me more as a support system but offer little in return and that is okay, I am more than happy to help people out. To be honest, I am not a person who seeks a assistance or reassurance from others anyway. I am pretty happy with my life and believe I have a lot of control over it. I also believe you choose your mood. It may be a lot of work to pick it, but you can choose your thoughts if you are aware of them.

Back to these incredible ladies....

These girls are from all walks of life but have found each others friendship through a Women's Empowerment  workshop at work. We communicate through a private group on Facebook. This way we make sure our positive and motivating thoughts are not interrupted by the negatives out there. Each month we choose a place to meet to share new books, music, videos, Web sites and other information that we find helpful on our journey to Enlightenment.

It is lovely having that sacred time to share. Funny, but in a way I feel as though we are a coven of witches sharing, mixing and brewing our own magical recipes for happiness and health. I love that vision.

If we really are a coven of witches then Saturday night was the Witches Ball. It was fantastic being surrounded by all that creative, liberating, fanciful feminine energy. Women of all ages coming together to support an illness that affects women. An illness that can be caused by  the overwhelming stress society places on women. All the expectations, abuse and pain we expect women to endure. Those stressors are cancers themselves.

I think back on that night - the talking, the laughing, the sharing, the inclusion, the silliness, the dancing, the drinking, and the love. I think it is our little coven's way of creating a brew to fight those evil cancers surrounding us everywhere.

I am thankful for the medicine of friendship that is so nourishing and healing. It is my Universal Health Care Plan.

Amen and also Namaste

1 comment:

  1. This post just radiates joy! And I love the metaphor of the witches brewing! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete