Monday, May 9, 2011

Some of My Favourite Things


I thought - why not share some simple products that bring me great joy. Here are a few of my favourites:

Tea Tree Oil 
Native to Australia, the tea tree plant produces a powerful astringent oil. Strong smelling tea tree oil should always be diluted in water, as a few drops goes a long way. It can be used to cleanse scratches and abrasions, to clean the face and in a neti pot to clean the sinuses. Drop a few drops in water and swish in your mouth like mouthwash if you are out of toothpaste. I also add it to my laundry and it's great for washing floors too.
Emer-gen-C
While not a herb or homeopathic, Emer-gen-C is one of God’s gifts to travellers as well as those who catch every cold and flu going around. Found in most  natural health and vitamin stores, it is a powdered, super-concentrated dose of Vitamin C. It is fabulous for those times you know you can't get sick.  Better yet, Emer-gen-C is packed with electrolytes, which your body loses steadily when you sweat, especially in hot places, like a Moksha Yoga classes or on an awesome Cuban resort. Pouring a packet into you water bottle is an easy way to replenish your body’s reserves of these essential nutrients and stave off dehydration. As a bonus, it also comes in many flavors, which can be nice when your  water tastes like warm plastic. I recommend the “orange” variety.
Bach’s Rescue Remedy
Alright, so nobody really knows how flower essences work. It may all be in your head, but they are so effective, who cares? Bach’s remedies are sold in  specialty health stores and at some grocery stores that carry natural food and health products in Canada . Rescue Remedy is useful for just about every bad moment life throws you. It helps you to stay calm during stressful situations at  work, home and abroad. It can ease the shock of transitions into a new culture and time zone too. I discovered this little bonus on a trip to New Zealand.
Baking Soda
Baking soda was one of the few products many years ago on the market for cleaning your teeth or settling an upset stomach but you can also use it for shaving and washing your face, for minor burns and cuts, or for relaxation in the bath. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to your usual shampoo bottle to help remove build-up from conditioners, mousses, and sprays, and to improve manageability. In emergencies, you can use it as a dry shampoo on oily hair. Sprinkle on your hair and comb through, then fluff with a blow dryer. Baking soda has so many uses it is a little frightening. My favourite use is for acne, I mix a little bit with some coconut oil in the palm of my had and put it on effected areas. Works like a charm.

Coconut Oil

My obsession with coconut oil started two years ago when we adopted a sweet kitty from the human society. Daisy came with the gift of ringworm. It is a terrible fungal disease that is a challenge to get rid of and spreads like wildfire if not treated properly. I took both my cats to the Vet and there we were given a terrible anti-fungal medicine that turned my sweet boy Amigo into a vicious cat. I found the cure of coconut oil online and haven't looked back since. I use it on my dry skin, acne, split ends and lips of course. Don't tell anyone, but I also continue to feed it to my cats because it keeps their coats shiny and mouths halitosis-free.


I love sharing these favourite things with you all. I will be back with another instalment in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment