Saturday, June 4, 2011

Do You Listen?

I came across this poem yesterday on my computer. I had forgotten all about it like most of the other files on there. This poem came to me during another time of awakening and often made me cry tears of thanks for the gift of change, which is so vital in our lives.
I also felt it was important to share it now as Spring has somewhat arrived to those of us on the East Coast.  It only takes about  5 minutes for a smile to show up on your face when you allow yourself to be outside and experience nature.
Dr. Charles Roper wrote this poem in 1992 during his experience with "Outward Bound," a wilderness training intensive for therapists. Dr. Roper writes recovery related books. A big Namaste and Thank-you to him for this amazing poem.
I Listen
by Chuck Roper

I Listen to the trees, and they say:

"Stand tall and yield.
Be tolerant and flexible.
Be true to yourself.
Stand alone, and stand together.
Be brave.
Be patient.
With time, you will grow."

I Listen to the wind, and it says:
"Breathe.
Take care of yourself --
body, mind, and spirit.
Take time.
Be quiet.
Listen from your heart.
Forgive."

I Listen to the sun, and it says:
"Nurture others.
Let your warmth radiate for others to feel.
Give yourself without expectations."




I Listen to the creek, and it says:

"Relax; go with the flow.
Tend to what's really important,
and let the rest go by.
Keep moving -- don't be hesitant or afraid.
Lighten up -- laugh, giggle."

I Listen to the mountains, and they say:

"Be there.
Be honest.
Be trustworthy.
Do what you say you're going to do.
Be true, genuine, and real.
Speak from the heart.
Don't cheat."



I Listen to the birds, and they say:

"Set yourself free.
Sing."





I Listen to the clouds, and they say:
"Be creative.
Be expressive.
Let your spirit run free.
Let yourself be light and gay,
but let yourself be heavy and sad.
Cry when you feel like it."


I Listen to the sky, and it says:
"Open up. Let go of the boundaries and barriers                                                                                                        which you have created to protect yourself.                                                                                                                          Experience change.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Fly."
I Listen to the flowers and small plants, and they say:

"Be humble.
Be simple.
Respect the beauty of small things.
Respect the beauty of humility and truth.
Let go of perfectionism.
Love yourself as you are; it opens the door to change.
Practice acceptance."

I Listen to the bugs and flying insects, and they say:


"Work.
Be productive.
Use your hands.
Focus on what's in front of you.
Ignore the past; there is only the present."



I Listen to the moon, and it says:
"Love.
Share love.
Make love.
Be romantic -- touch and caress.
Allow yourself to be loved.
Be gentle, kind, and understanding.
Use candles."





I Listen to the stars, and they wink and say:

"Play.
Dance, be silly, have fun."






I Listen to the earth, and it says:

"I am your mother.
I give you life.
Respect all that is around you.
Find beauty in all things -- living and not -- including
yourself; for we are all one -- not separate.
Be especially respectful to the very young and the very old,
for they are both very near God.
Give up the belief that you are a higher form of life;
there is no higher form of life.
We are equal because we are the same.
When you return to me, I will welcome you,
and I will set your spirit free.
Love and nurture your children; cook good food for them,
and hold them very close to you often.
Hold me close to you often as well,
and I will hold you in return; I will support you.
Have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment