Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lucky to have ...everything


If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. 
 ~Meister Eckhar


Sometimes things like grocery stores, gas stations, shopping centres, jobs and money overwhelm me. I think, "How spoiled are we? We have all this money, food, clothing, housing and THINGS at our disposal and yet we rarely think about those who have nothing." 
Last year I met an Anglican minister originally from Africa who moved to Canada in his 30s. He was born in a refugee camp and spent years moving across that great continent to come to the land of the free.When he came through US immigration  they asked him for the colour of his eyes but he could not tell them. He could not tell them because he had never seen himself in a mirror. He had no idea what he looked like or what colour his eyes were. This story shook me.


To this day I think of all the people who live without electricity, running water, heat, the Internet, phones, jobs, transportation, money, FOOD, safety, love, clothes, and family. How tough can the human race be?How weak we can be> In North America we have everything at our finger tips, yet we are rarely thankful and we rarely use them to their full potential. I feel that if we gave thanks more often for all these miracle we take for granted we would help ourselves and in turn help others.


Here is a list of things along with a video of things I am thankful for in my life. What about you?

My fridge, my bed, weekends and evenings, yoga classes every day, shampoo, make-up, coconut milk, coffee, cook books, sushi, sneakers, jeans, my car, veggie chips, Facebook, vacuums, the beach, the desert, work friends, old friends, flying, lines of credit, credit cards, and bank accounts.





No comments:

Post a Comment